Aims and Objectives
- To promote research and to facilitate research students in various research programs and interested in specializing in areas such as Islamic Economics, Islamic Banking, Islamic Finance, Takaful, Waqf, Islamic Capital Markets, Islamic Corporate Governance, Islamic Wealth Management and other allied disciplines.
- To generate and develop a ‘Knowledge Pool’ of researchers and experts who will be actively seeking research and development in the various areas of Islamic Economics, Banking and Finance.
- To publish intellectual contributions in local and international research journals.
- To facilitate the Chair of Islamic Banking & Finance in accomplishing the overall objectives.
Dr. Imam Uddin (Associate Professor Accounting & Finance)
Dr. Imam uddin holds a PhD in Islamic Banking & Finance along with the Doctorate in Islamic Jurisprudence & graduation in int. Law. His research articles have been published in the International Journals of high repute. Dr. Imam uddin’s area of interest includes but not limited to the following.
- Islamic Economic System
- Islamic Banking & Finance
- Islamic Wealth Management
- Modes of Islamic Financing
- Product development of Islamic Banking
- Islamic Legal System
- Halal Food Industry
- Leasing Industry
- Service Industry
- Corporate Governance
- To analyze the issues related to implementation of interest free banking in Pakistan” Interdisciplinary Journal of contemporary Research in Business, 2012, vol. 04,
- Prospects and challenges of banking sector in Service Industry”, 2013, Asian journal of Research in business and Management, vol. 3 No. 7
- Leasing Industry in Pakistan: Problems and Prospects” 2013, Asian journal of Research in business and Management, vol. 3 No.7
- Islamic Banking in Pakistan: Problems and Prospects” 2013, Asian journal of Research in business and Management, vol. 3 No.7
- A critical study to Islamic inter-Bank Benchmark offer rate: associated issues and Solutions.” 2013, Islamic finance journal, vol. 01,No. 01,
- Challenges and prospects of human resources in Service industry’’, 2013, Asian journal of Research in business and Management, vol. 3 No. 7,
- Customer loyalty and satisfaction influence on service industry. Analysis for cellular mobile phone companies in Pakistan.” 2013, Asian Journal Of Research In Marketing,
- The Notion of Corporate Governance in Islam” 2013, The IUP Journal of Corporate Governance. Vol. XII, No. 4
- Economics of Islam: Islamic Perspective of Banking in Pakistan”, 2013, Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing, USA,
- Prospects and Challenges for Soft Drink Industry. Research Analysis of “Rooh Afza” as the Case.” RADIX International Journal of banking, finance and Accounting, 2013, vol. 02, No. 04, 01-46.
Mr. Omar Javiad (Lecturer, Management & HRM)
Mr. Omer Javaid is Coordinator Entrepreneurial Initiatives and Senior Lecturer & PhD student at IoBM. He is Vice President (voluntary position) at G.E.A.R (Generating Employment Alternatives for self-Reliance;(www.gear.org.pk) which provides interest free microfinance and counseling for establishing micro-enterprise for poor unemployed class. He has an MS in Management Sciences from KIET. MS in Islamic Economics & Finance, (earned a Gold Medal) from Karachi Institute of Economics and Technology (PAFKIET), MBA (exec) in Market Management from Institute of Business Management (IoBM), B.E in Industrial and Manufacturing from NED University of Engr. & Tech.
His research articles related to the Islamic banking & finance have been published in repute international & national journals. Mr. Javaid’s area of interest includes but not limited to the following.
- Comparative analysis of Conventional and Islamic Economic, Banking, and Finance.
- Risk Management in Conventional and Islamic Banking.
- Products of Conventional and Islamic Banking
- Islamic Macro-Prudential Policy
- Financial Instruments of Conventional and Islamic banking.
- ‘Money and its forms: An Analysis in the light of Shariah’, originally written by Dr. Mufti Ismatullah in Urdu, Publisher: Darulishaat, Karachi in 2013
- ‘Clash of Civilizations in the light of traditional Islamic Discourse’, originally written by Shahnawaz Farooqi in Urdu, Publisher: CreateSpace, NewYork in 2013. Website: http://www.amazon.com/Clash-Civilizations-Traditional-Islamic-Discourse/dp/1482054256
Research Papers in Peer Reviewed Journals
- ‘The Sociocultural & Economic Context for Practicing Shirkat-ul-Aqd in Ottoman Guilds’, in Journal of Pluralism in Economics Education, Forthcoming
- ‘Shadow of Conventional Financial Industry on Islamic Banking: The Case against Market Competition and Concept of Risk in Islamic Financial Industry’, published in JISR-MSSE, (Volume. 12, Issue 2) in 2014
- ‘Methodology of Institutional Analysis and its Implication for Contemporary Framework of Islamic Banks’, in Humanomics (Volume 31, volume 2) in 2015
- ‘Comparison of Islamic and capitalist conception of Economic Justice’, in IJEMA (Volume 21, Issue 1), in Nov. 2012. Website: http://www.iium.edu.my/enmjournal/index.php/enmj/article/view/229/169
Selected Conference Presentations
- “Comparing Islamic Concept of Wealth & Modern Financial Capital; Implications for Theory and Practice of Contemporary Islamic Finance” in 10th International Conference on Islamic Economics and Finance, Khalifa University Student Center, Doha, Qatar. 23-24 March 2015
- ‘Comparison of Islamic and Capitalistic conception of economic justice’ in 2nd International Conference on Islamic Economics & Economies of OIC Countries at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on, 30th January 2013
- ‘Using Constructionist Philosophy to Inculcate Optimism and Philanthropic Spirit among Students’ in International Conference on Transforming Pedagogies: Emerging Contexts and Texts of Teacher Education, at Karachi, Pakistan, on 26th October 2010
MPhil/PhD Student Group Members
- Ms Ume Umama
Abdur Rahman Aleemi (Senior Lecturer,Finance /Health & Hospital Management Department)
Abdur Rahman Aleemi is faculty of business administration at the Institute of Business and Technology, Adjunct Faculty at IQRA University Main campus and PhD Scholar at IoBM Karachi. His main areas of interest are Financial Economics, Corporate Finance, Equity Pricing, Risk & Return Analysis and Advanced Quantitative Modeling. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aleemi, A., Tariq, M., & Ahmed, S. (2016). The Role of Gold Prices, Exchange Rate and Interest Rate on the Continuity of Inflation in Pakistan. Pakistan Business Review, 18(1), 37-54.
- Dashti, J., Aleemi, A., & Tariq, M. (2016). Effects of Intellectual Capital Information Disclosure on Market Capitalization: Evidence from Pakistan. City University Research Journal, 6(1), 191-203.
- Khan, U., Aleemi, A., & Qureshi, M. (2016). Is Economic Value Added More Associated With Stock Price Than Accounting Earnings? Evidence from Pakistan. City University Research Journal, 6(2), 1-1.
- Aleemi, A., & Azam, M. (2016). The Integration among Financial Markets of Pakistan: New Extensions and Evidence from Bounds Testing and TYDL Granger Non-Causality Approach. (Under Review)
- Iqbal, A., Aleemi, A., Tariq, M., & Zeeshan, M., (2016). Funds Induction and Flows: The Dynamics of Asset Management Companies. (In Process)
- Corporate Governance and Firm Performance: Moderating Role of Directors’ Demographic Characteristics (In Process)
- Aleemi, A., & Azam, M. (2015). The Nexus of Financial Deepening, Economic Growth and Poverty: The Case of Pakistan. Business Review, 10(2), 64-79.
- Kumar, V., Aleemi, A., & Ali, A. (2015). The Determinants of Systematic Risk: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan’s Banking Sector. Global Management Journal for Academic &Corporate Studies, 5(1), 142-150.
- Aleemi, A., Chaudhry, M., Qureshi, M., Tahir, H., & Anwar, R. (2015). Psychological Vulnerabilities of Internally Displaced Persons in Pakistan and its Effects on General Community. IBT Journal of Business Studies, 11(2), 01-15.
- Tariq, M., Aleemi, A., Lakhani, K., &Iqbal, A. (2015). Investigating the Role of Microfinance on Economic and Social Development: A Case Study of Rural Areas of Sind, Pakistan. IBT Journal of Business Studies, 11(2), 182-199.
- Aleemi, A., Tariq, M., & Ahmed, S. (2015). Foreign Direct Investment and Export Performance of Pakistan: The Cointegration and Causality approach. IBT Journal of Business Studies, 11(1), 01-11.
- Tariq, M., Aleemi, A., & Ahmed, S. (2015). Exploring the Evidence on Changes in Time Varying Volatility Around Bonus and Right Issue: A Study Based on KSE. IBT Journal of Business Studies, 11(1), 67-81.
- Tariq, M., Aleemi, A., Qureshi, M., & Shakri, I. (2015). Role of Microfinance Providers (MFPs) on the Economic and Social Welfare of the People in Pakistan. Journal of Business Strategies, 9(2), 33-46.
- Investigating the Mediating and Moderating Effects of Financial Herding and the Patterns of Interdependence between Stock and Bond Market: A Conceptual Framework. (Presented at 1stNational Research Conference on Business Management (NRCBM-16), held at PAF-KIET, Karachi, 6-7 March, 2016.
- The Saga of Development and the Quest towards De-Development: Ethical Choices (Presented at International Conference on Innovations and Emerging Trends in Business Management (ICIEBM-2016), held at IQRA University, Karachi, 4-5th June-2016.
- The Integration among Financial Markets of Pakistan: New Extensions and Evidence from Bounds Testing and TYDL Granger Non-Causality Approach. Presented at the “International Conference on Management, Education and Social Sciences Research (ICMESSR) on 4-5 April-2015
- The Nexus between FDI and SME’s Growth: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan. Presented at the “Bahria University National Conference (BUNC-2015), on 16-17 April-2015
- Financial Leverage and its Effects on Firms’ Investment Decisions: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan’s Banking Sector. Presented at South Asian International Conference (SAICON-2015) August 19-21.
- Meritocracy in Education: A Major Cause of Social Unrest in Pakistan. Presented at South Asian International Conference (SAICON-2015) August 19-21.
- Nexus between Currency Exchange Rates and Trade Balance: A Study Based on Marshal-Lerner Framework. Presented at South Asian International Conference (SAICON-2015) August 19-21.
- The Saga of Development and the Quest towards De-Development: Is it a Choice? (Presented at 1st MUST-ICBMR 2015 at Mirpur University of Science and Technology, October 29-30.
- Investigating the Mediating and Moderating Effects of Financial Herding and the Patterns of Interdependence between Stock and Bond Market: A Conceptual Framework. (Presented at 7th National Conference on Management & Social Sciences (NACOMSS-2015), held at Institute of Business & Technology, 12th December.
Impact of macroeconomic and financial indicators on profitability of conventional and islamic banking - A comparative study.